In 1902 Edith and Teddy Wharton built The Mount on 113 acres purchased from Georgiana Sargent. The entire estate was designed as a complete work of art, informed by French, Italian and English traditions, yet adapted for the American landscape.
The Mount is one of only five percent of National Historic Landmarks dedicated to women. It is an autobiographical house, one that embodies the spirit of its creator.
The classically inspired Main House, elegant Georgian Revival Stable, formal gardens and sculpted landscape represent the only full expression of Wharton’s influential architectural and landscape theories.
Facts About the Original Estate
Francis L.V. Hoppin (Hoppin & Koen)
Square Footage: 16,850 sq. ft.
Height: west elevation (entrance side) 4 stories; east elevation (garden side) 3 stories
Walled forecourt (approximately 64 ft x 78 ft.) Entrance hall (34.5 ft x 12.5 ft)
Staircase hall (11 ft x 18 ft)
First Floor (piano nobile) Gallery (38 ft x 12 ft)
Dining room (20.5 ft x 25.5 ft) opening onto terrace
Drawing room (36 ft x 20 ft) Edith Wharton’s library (20 ft x 25 ft) Teddy Wharton’s den (15 ft x 18 ft)
Terrace (125 ft x approximately 24 ft along eastern façade, wrapping around to north façade), leading to Palladian staircase and gardens
Second Floor (Bedroom Floor)
Edith Wharton’s boudoir, bath and bedroom on north end
Two-room guest suite plus bath on west side
Teddy Wharton’s bedroom, bath and dressing room on east side
Largest guest bedroom and bath (known as the Henry James suite) on east side
Servants’ dining room, kitchen, serving room and scullery, laundry room, wine cellar, coal-storage room and furnace room
Servants’ hallway, butler’s room, cook’s room, butler’s pantry, housekeeper’s room
Linen closet, housemaid’s closet, maid’s room, sewing room, dress closet, bath, stairs to attic floor
Servants’ bedrooms (8) and servants’ bath