“Mr. Wharton’s pride is the stable, which is indeed one of the finest in Lenox.”
—Berkshire Resort Topics, 1904
Like the Main House, The Mount’s large Georgian Revival stable was modeled on Belton House and designed by the architectural firm of Hoppin & Koen. Its original purpose was to shelter the Whartons’ horses and carriages. But before too long, it was transformed into a garage for a succession of the Whartons’ motorcars.
Today, the Stable is The Mount’s primary cultural programming space. We partner with over 40 local organizations to present lectures, dramatic readings, theater, music, storytelling, workshops, outdoor sculpture, films, and literary panels.
In 2015, The Mount started the next phase of restoration—completing the restoration of the Stable’s exterior according to federal historic preservation guidelines and laying the groundwork for future utility installation for year-round use.