Visitors who pull back the curtain of Edith Wharton’s third story bedroom window, or step out onto the Terrace from Teddy Wharton’s den, might spot a little mound at the edge of the woods with six tiny gravestones. This is the pet cemetery at The Mount.
The Whartons loved their dogs dearly; they were, in many ways, children in Teddy and Edith’s otherwise childless marriage. The Mount’s pet cemetery is the final resting place of Mimi (d. January 1902), Toto (d. November 18, 1904), Miza (d. January 12, 1906), and Jules (d. 1907), a Skye terrier who lived to be 16. Two dogs from the Shattuck era (1912-1938) are buried alongside the Wharton dogs.
Ghost tours always include a stop at the pet cemetery, where guides briefly retell “Kerfol,” Wharton’s story about a pack of ghost dogs who haunt a house where they were murdered, and in turn avenged their murder and the cruel treatment of their beloved mistress.
Although there are few reports of ghostly animal activity reported at The Mount, visitors have caught two interesting photos, which can be seen on the right.
Edith Wharton was surrounded by her dogs as she wrote in bed every morning, and from that same room, she could look out the window at the cemetery and continue to watch over them. And when the trees are bare in the fall, there is a perfect view of Mrs. Wharton’s bedroom window from the pet cemetery, where perhaps they could see her, too.