We would like to congratulate the winners of the 17th annual Edith Wharton Writing Competition. The Mount and The Berkshire Eagle established the writing competition in 1998 in support and recognition of emerging young writers.
The Mount received over 80 entries from the Berkshires, Hampshire, and Franklin counties as well New York and Connecticut. Karen Shepard, of Williams College, and Peter Filkins, of Simon’s Rock, served as judges. The Mount would like to thank all the students who participated.
This year’s writing competition is sponsored by the Massachusetts Cultural Council and the Feigenbaum Foundation.
The 2016 winners are:
Fiction (11th & 12th grades)
• First place: Anne Savage
• Second place: Matthew Kleiner
• Honorable mention: Ashana LeGeyt, Molly Wilson
Fiction (9th & 10th grades)
• First place: Solomon Bergquist
• Second place: Jarod Werner
• Honorable mention: Roheena Khan
Poetry (11th & 12th grades)
• First place: Indira Khera
• Second place: Michelle Horelick
• Honorable mention: Elizabeth Chew, McKenna Huber, & Kaitlyn Tonkin
Poetry (9th & 10th grades)
• First place: Julia Somma
• Second place: Taylor Therrien
• Honorable mention: Elizabeth Huang