The Mount originally consisted of 113 acres to which Edith Wharton later added approximately 15 more. The estate included woods, pastures, orchards, manicured lawns, formal gardens, and at least ten outbuildings.
One of the outbuildings still remaining is the gatehouse, positioned just inside the original front gates on Plunkett Street (formerly Cross Road). The Georgian Revival-style is two stories high, with an attic. It has a wood-frame construction, finished in stucco, and is painted white with dark green shutters.
The gatehouse was designed and constructed by Hoppin & Koen in 1901-02, along with the mansion and stable. Identified by the architects as the “Lodge,” it functioned as a gatehouse as well as the home of the superintendent for the estate, who doubled as the head gardener.
During the Wharton’s tenure, the gatehouse was occupied by their superintendent, Thomas Reynolds, and his family. The structure was clearly built as a family residence. Its plan is simple: four rooms over four. The first floor consisted of a living room, dining room, kitchen, and office; upstairs were four bedrooms and a bath.
From 1912 to 1942, the gatehouse presumably continued as the estate superintendent’s home. During most of the Foxhollow years, it was faculty housing or a rental property. Shakespeare & Company used the gatehouse to house actors and theatre staff from 1978 to 1983.
The gatehouse now serves as the office for the administrative staff of The Mount.