Wharton designed and built The Mount in 1902, based on the principles outlined in her influential book, The Decoration of Houses (1897), co-authored with architect Ogden Codman, Jr. This classical revival house represents the only full expression we have of Wharton’s architectural interests.
The Mount is the only U.S. monument to Edith Wharton.
It is also one of the mere 5% of National Historic Landmarks dedicated to women.
Important Facts about The Mount
|Location||Lenox, Massachusetts, overlooking Laurel Lake|
|House Design||Edith Wharton|
|Architects||Ogden Codman, Jr.
Francis L.V. Hoppin (Hoppin & Koen)
|Builder||R. W. Curry|
|Garden Design||Edith Wharton|
|Additional Landscape Architect||Beatrix Farrand|
|Principal Buildings||Main house, inspired by Belton House (17th-century Palladian-style English country house), with classical Italian and French influences; Georgian Revival gatehouse; Georgian Revival stable; greenhouse with potting shed|
|Restored Gardens||Italian walled garden; formal flower garden; rock garden; lime walk; grass terraces|
|Land Parcel||Original farm plot of 113 acres bought for $40,600; additional 15 acres purchased at a later date; current size: 49.5 acres|
|Construction||July 1901 – Autumn 1902|
|Cost||Main house: $57,619
|Main House Dimensions||Footprint: approx. 138 ft x 65 ft
Height: west elevation (entrance side) 3 stories; east elevation (garden side) 2 stories